Call Now

Call Now

Call Now


3 ways to Terminate Child Support

Child Support is generally ordered in every case where there is a minor child(ren) in a divorce or paternity (child born out of wedlock) case.

There are 3 main ways to terminate a child support order:

  1. Emancipation – Age – In Indiana, a child support order continues until the child reaches the age of 19 (previously 21), by statute. Some courts will automatically terminate a wage withholding order, and stop withdrawing funds from your paycheck upon the child turning 19, but in other cases, you may need to file a motion with the court to stop child support. Financial support for a child could continue beyond 19 for 2 reasons: 1) the child is attending college and there is a college expense contribution order in place or 2) the child is disabled and unable to support him or herself as an independent adult.
  1. Emancipation – Living independently of parents before age 19. If a child join the military, marries, or moves out of the parent’s home and begins living independently as an adult, and supporting him or herself, the parent obligated to pay child support can seek to terminate a child support order before the age of 19. Generally, child support is paid to the custodial parent to hold the funds and use the funds in trust for the child. Thus, if the child is living independently the custodial parent would not need these funds to support the child, as the child is supporting himself. This typically occurs when the child is between 18 and 19, in later teen years.
  1. Repudiation – When a child has chosen to completely refuse a relationship with the parent obligated to pay child support. Usually, this is a defense to paying child support that can be raised in later teen years, and once the child is legally an adult (18 years of age). A parent would typically have to show that a child is old enough to have independent thought to make a conscious decision to refuse the relationship, and that there has been an ongoing pattern for a significant period of time. Additionally, the parent must show he or she has tried to have a relationship with the child, and it is not the parent who has thwarted the relationship, but the child.

We hope that you have found this information to be helpful in understanding some reasons child support could be terminated. This is not intended to be legal advice. If you have questions or concerns about your specific case, Dixon & Moseley, P.C. can help evaluate your specific case. This blog post was written by Attorney, Lori B. Schmeltzer.


We Listen & Care

Proven & experienced attorneys successfully advocating & resolving complex cases for over 25 years

Quick Contact

Need to talk now? Fill out the quick form below and we will contact you directly.
Blog Categories

Get In Touch

We're available to answer your questions 24/7.

Contact Us

Please fill out the form below and we will be in touch with you shortly.

Dixon & Moseley, P.C., is a law firm located in Indianapolis, Indiana. We serve clients in six core practice areas: family lawappellate practicefirearms lawgeneral practicepersonal injury and criminal law.

Call Now

Copyright © 2024 Ciyou & Dixon, P.C., Attorneys at Law. All rights reserved. This Site does not provide legal advice; please review the disclaimer for other limitations. Privacy Policy

Based in Indianapolis and founded in 1995, Dixon & Moseley, P.C. is a niche law firm focused on successfully dealing with the complexities of divorce, high-conflict child custody and family law. Known for their ability to solve extremely complex situations with high quality work and responsiveness, Dixon & Moseley, P.C. will guide you every step of the way. The family law attorneys at Dixon & Moseley, P.C. will help you precisely identify your objectives and the means to reach your desired result. Life is uncertain. Be certain of your counsel. Indianapolis Divorce Attorneys, Dixon & Moseley, P.C.

Indianapolis Divorce Attorneys, Dixon & Moseley, P.C. of Indianapolis, Indiana, offers legal services for Indianapolis, Zionsville, Noblesville, Carmel, Avon, Anderson, Danville, Greenwood, Brownsburg, Geist, Fortville, McCordsville, Muncie, Greenfield, Westfield, Fort Wayne, Fishers, Bloomington, Lafayette, Marion County, Hamilton County, Hendricks County, Allen County, Delaware County, Morgan County, Hendricks County, Boone County, Vigo County, Johnson County, Hancock County, and Tippecanoe County, Indiana.