Call Now

Call Now

Call Now


Four Key Types Of Evidence To Gather To Move A Case To Another State After Custody Relocations

Supposing a custodial parent is permitted by a court to relocate with the child to another state, there are often matters that arise after relocation that must be decided by a court with regard to the child. This brings up a relatively frequent question of which court decides, the court in the child’s former state of residence, generally the “home state,” or the state where the child now resides.

Generally, the court in the child’s former “home state” retains jurisdiction so long as the non-relocating parent resides there. However, a petition may be filed in the new state asking it to confer between courts (i.e., the judges speak by phone) to decide if the new state is a more convenient forum to decide new issues that arise with custody. The child’s former “home state” judge my relinquish jurisdiction if it determines it is a more convenient forum.

This argument is made and more likely successful where the information the court in the new state has is necessary to make a current best interest determination. Courts in the “home state” may retain jurisdiction if there is wrongdoing on the part of the relocating parent, such as denial of or interference with parenting time after relocation. Assuming that is not the case, the following are evidentiary considerations to argue why the information for a best interests determination is in the new state:

1). The child’s doctors, dentists, therapists, et cetera are in the new state.

2). The child’s school and friends are in the new state.

3). The child’s custodial parent has demonstrated respect for the non-relocating parents contact with the child after he or she relocated.

4). The child’s friends, school, and sense of identity are in the new state.

These showing in motions filed and after a conference between the judges may result in an order by the “home state” in relinquishing jurisdiction to the new state court system. This is a relative technical area of the law and a great amount of discretion is given to the “home state” judge. Otherwise, at least the custody aspect of the case remains in the original state unless and until the non-custodial parent leaves that state.

This blog post is written by attorneys at Ciyou & Dixon, P.C. We hope you find this helpful as general educational material. It is not intended to be legal advice or a specific solicitation for services. Ciyou & Dixon, P.C. advocates practice throughout the state of Indiana and handle a wide variety of child custody cases with interstate or international components.


We Listen & Care

Proven & experienced attorneys successfully advocating & resolving complex cases for over 25 years

Quick Contact

Need to talk now? Fill out the quick form below and we will contact you directly.
Blog Categories

Get In Touch

We're available to answer your questions 24/7.

Contact Us

Please fill out the form below and we will be in touch with you shortly.

Dixon & Moseley, P.C., is a law firm located in Indianapolis, Indiana. We serve clients in six core practice areas: family lawappellate practicefirearms lawgeneral practicepersonal injury and criminal law.

Call Now

Copyright © 2024 Ciyou & Dixon, P.C., Attorneys at Law. All rights reserved. This Site does not provide legal advice; please review the disclaimer for other limitations. Privacy Policy

Based in Indianapolis and founded in 1995, Dixon & Moseley, P.C. is a niche law firm focused on successfully dealing with the complexities of divorce, high-conflict child custody and family law. Known for their ability to solve extremely complex situations with high quality work and responsiveness, Dixon & Moseley, P.C. will guide you every step of the way. The family law attorneys at Dixon & Moseley, P.C. will help you precisely identify your objectives and the means to reach your desired result. Life is uncertain. Be certain of your counsel. Indianapolis Divorce Attorneys, Dixon & Moseley, P.C.

Indianapolis Divorce Attorneys, Dixon & Moseley, P.C. of Indianapolis, Indiana, offers legal services for Indianapolis, Zionsville, Noblesville, Carmel, Avon, Anderson, Danville, Greenwood, Brownsburg, Geist, Fortville, McCordsville, Muncie, Greenfield, Westfield, Fort Wayne, Fishers, Bloomington, Lafayette, Marion County, Hamilton County, Hendricks County, Allen County, Delaware County, Morgan County, Hendricks County, Boone County, Vigo County, Johnson County, Hancock County, and Tippecanoe County, Indiana.