Call Now

Call Now

Call Now


How Can I Defend Myself Against All the False Statements My Ex Has Put in Court Filings?

How Can I Defend Myself Against All the False Statements My Ex Has Put in Court Filings?

The use of false allegations or statements made against individuals by ex-spouses has become more and more common in recent years. Unfortunately, this trend does not seem to be going away any time soon. This leaves many individuals feeling lost, wondering “how can I defend myself against all the false statements my ex has put in court filings?” In this blog, we look to answer that question by looking at a few options individuals may be able to use when defending themselves against false allegations.

One option an individual has in defending themselves against false statements made in a court filing is to file a response to the specific court filing that contains the false statements. For example, say your ex-spouse files a contempt petition against you which contains false allegations. You would then be able to file a “response” to this contempt petition in which you would be able to lay out exactly which statements are false and why. A response to a specific court filing can prove very beneficial because there is a lot of flexibility in exactly how you can attack the false statements based upon the facts of the case. At a minimum, filing a response is generally recommended so you can at least let the court know you would like to challenge the allegations via a hearing before the court takes any action.

Another option would be to file what is known as a motion to strike. The Court of Appeals has held that a “motion to strike is properly utilized to have an improper pleading struck.”1 Precedential law holds that a “motion to strike is proper for purposes of stripping a pleading of immaterial, impertinent, and redundant matter, or to strike out a sham pleading, or to strike a pleading from the files in case of failure to comply with formalities of a statute.”2 Importantly, our Supreme Court has long recognized that a motion to strike can be used “when it plainly appears on the face thereof to be false in fact.”3 Thus, if you have evidence that clearly indicates the statements made by your ex in a court filing are false, you may be able to use a motion to strike the pleading and remove it from the record. Which would, in turn, dismiss the false statements against you.

The above information is general in nature and the options provided are only a few that may be available in defending yourself against false allegations. Ultimately, how you defend yourself against false statements made in a court filing is going to come down to the facts and circumstances of the specific case. These types of situations are extremely fact-sensitive. Family law matters are emotional times for all involved. Not only are they emotional, but often time complex. Obtaining skilled counsel is key to relieving some of the burden. This blog was written by attorneys at Ciyou & Dixon, P.C. who handle civil and criminal matters of all types throughout the state. It is written and posted for general educational purposes and is not to be construed as legal advice or solicitation for services. It is an advertisement.

  1. Anderson v. Anderson, 399 N.E.2d 391 (Ind. Ct. App. 1979).
  2. Finney v. L.S. Ayres & Co., 207 N.E.2d 642 (Ind. Ct. App. 1965).
  3. Barnard v. Kruzan, 46 N.E.2d 238 (Ind. Ct. App. 1943).

We Listen & Care

Proven & experienced attorneys successfully advocating & resolving complex cases for over 25 years

Quick Contact

Need to talk now? Fill out the quick form below and we will contact you directly.
Blog Categories

Get In Touch

We're available to answer your questions 24/7.

Contact Us

Please fill out the form below and we will be in touch with you shortly.

Dixon & Moseley, P.C., is a law firm located in Indianapolis, Indiana. We serve clients in six core practice areas: family lawappellate practicefirearms lawgeneral practicepersonal injury and criminal law.

Call Now

Copyright © 2024 Ciyou & Dixon, P.C., Attorneys at Law. All rights reserved. This Site does not provide legal advice; please review the disclaimer for other limitations. Privacy Policy

Based in Indianapolis and founded in 1995, Dixon & Moseley, P.C. is a niche law firm focused on successfully dealing with the complexities of divorce, high-conflict child custody and family law. Known for their ability to solve extremely complex situations with high quality work and responsiveness, Dixon & Moseley, P.C. will guide you every step of the way. The family law attorneys at Dixon & Moseley, P.C. will help you precisely identify your objectives and the means to reach your desired result. Life is uncertain. Be certain of your counsel. Indianapolis Divorce Attorneys, Dixon & Moseley, P.C.

Indianapolis Divorce Attorneys, Dixon & Moseley, P.C. of Indianapolis, Indiana, offers legal services for Indianapolis, Zionsville, Noblesville, Carmel, Avon, Anderson, Danville, Greenwood, Brownsburg, Geist, Fortville, McCordsville, Muncie, Greenfield, Westfield, Fort Wayne, Fishers, Bloomington, Lafayette, Marion County, Hamilton County, Hendricks County, Allen County, Delaware County, Morgan County, Hendricks County, Boone County, Vigo County, Johnson County, Hancock County, and Tippecanoe County, Indiana.