Call Now

Call Now

Call Now


Restoring the Maiden Name Post Divorce Name Change

Restoring the Maiden Name: Post-Divorce Name Change

During the dissolution process, there are many topics that need to be addressed. The “big three” include child custody, child support, and dividing assets and liabilities. However, there are often numerous other issues that may be equally important to one or both of the parties.

One of these potential issues is the wife legally changing her name back from her married last name to her maiden name or other name. While this is not a particularly difficult process legally, it may be a bit of a challenge/process to change on all documents (mail, credit cards, etc.).

Also, a soon-to-be ex-husband cannot demand a wife not retain his name. This is the woman’s decision.

Generally, in a dissolution petition, the wife should set out as one of the points in her petition that she wishes for her maiden name to be restored. The Court will then Order same as part of the dissolution decree.

Indiana law creates a provision for the maiden name change. In fact, the statue reads that if a woman desires her name to be restored to her maiden name, she needs to request same in her petition for dissolution as part of the relief sought1. The Court will then order the name change.

Not including this in the petition can make the process more difficult and time-consuming. For example, if the husband files the divorce, he obviously will not likely ask for the wife’s maiden name to be restored.

In this situation, to ensure that the desire to restore the maiden name is before the Court, the wife may have to file her own cross-petition for dissolution after the husband files. This will allow the Court to have the request in the petition to rule on same.

If the name change is requested in the petition, the Court should grant same. It is reversible error (on appeal, the case can be sent back to the trial court to correct the issue) to not grant a name change if this is properly before the Court. Therefore, if requested, the name change should be granted without need for evidence or any other supplemental information.

Another potential issue arises if the wife fails to include the request in her petition. If this happens, and the divorce is finalized without an order regarding the maiden name change, there is another avenue to name change. At any time during the divorce process, the divorce petition may be amended to request this relief.

After the divorce is final, the woman has to file a legal filing for a name change in the local court2. This is subject to legal publication and is time consuming and expensive to complete, but it can be done after dissolution has been finalized if a name change was not requested.

Ultimately, if you want your name changed as a female upon divorce, it is one of those little details that should be addressed during the divorce, not after that fact.

We hope that this blog post has been informative regarding the process for restoring a maiden name. Simply, one must just request this in her petition, or file a cross-petition if husband files the initial one, or after that time, but before divorce file a request to amend the petition to address the matter.

Ciyou & Dixon, P.C. practices throughout the state of Indiana. This blog post was written by attorney, Jessica Keyes.

  1. Indiana Code §31-15-2-18.
  2. Indiana Code §34-28-2-1.

We Listen & Care

Proven & experienced attorneys successfully advocating & resolving complex cases for over 25 years

Quick Contact

Need to talk now? Fill out the quick form below and we will contact you directly.
Blog Categories

Get In Touch

We're available to answer your questions 24/7.

Contact Us

Please fill out the form below and we will be in touch with you shortly.

Dixon & Moseley, P.C., is a law firm located in Indianapolis, Indiana. We serve clients in six core practice areas: family lawappellate practicefirearms lawgeneral practicepersonal injury and criminal law.

Call Now

Copyright © 2024 Ciyou & Dixon, P.C., Attorneys at Law. All rights reserved. This Site does not provide legal advice; please review the disclaimer for other limitations. Privacy Policy

Based in Indianapolis and founded in 1995, Dixon & Moseley, P.C. is a niche law firm focused on successfully dealing with the complexities of divorce, high-conflict child custody and family law. Known for their ability to solve extremely complex situations with high quality work and responsiveness, Dixon & Moseley, P.C. will guide you every step of the way. The family law attorneys at Dixon & Moseley, P.C. will help you precisely identify your objectives and the means to reach your desired result. Life is uncertain. Be certain of your counsel. Indianapolis Divorce Attorneys, Dixon & Moseley, P.C.

Indianapolis Divorce Attorneys, Dixon & Moseley, P.C. of Indianapolis, Indiana, offers legal services for Indianapolis, Zionsville, Noblesville, Carmel, Avon, Anderson, Danville, Greenwood, Brownsburg, Geist, Fortville, McCordsville, Muncie, Greenfield, Westfield, Fort Wayne, Fishers, Bloomington, Lafayette, Marion County, Hamilton County, Hendricks County, Allen County, Delaware County, Morgan County, Hendricks County, Boone County, Vigo County, Johnson County, Hancock County, and Tippecanoe County, Indiana.