Call Now

Call Now

Call Now


Child Support Overpayment: Reimbursement Options?

Child support payments can be modified throughout a course of litigation, either due to a change in circumstances of the parties1, children becoming emancipated2, or a change in child custody3, to name a few. Often if there is a change in child support, there is a potential overpayment of child support. In some cases, this overpayment may be reimbursed. In others, it may not be.

How is it determined whether overpaid child support is reimbursed? It seems that much of it depends on the intent of the parties. For example, if a child became statutorily emancipated at age nineteen (19) and Mother did not filed any document with the Court and continued to pay child support while the child was in college, this may be considered a gift, and Mother would not be reimbursed.

The rationale for the example above would be that Mother should have taken action to cease child support payments, either by filing with the Court a motion stating that the child is emancipated and the child support duty has ended or by discontinuing the child support payments for the emancipated child if she desired for child support to terminate. Failure to act and continuing to pay makes Mother’s overpayment voluntary and a gift.

An emancipation notice and termination of support is unlike most other child support modification motions. A termination of support motion goes back to the actual date of emancipation, not the date the motion was filed like modification motions. Therefore, a motion to terminate child support coupled with an emancipation notice provides a concrete date that child support is to have terminated. If this date is clear and has been ordered by the Court, a reimbursement of overpayment also may be sought.
Often, it is prudent, to protect one’s interest, for the parent paying child support who believes there is an overpayment of same to file a motion with the Court to be reimbursed for any overpayment. For example, if Father is paying child support by Income Withholding Order (IWO) and custody is modified to him, it may take several weeks for his employer to terminate the IWO, resulting in an overpayment. In this case, Father may file a motion for return of overpayment, and because Mother continues to receive child support while not having custody of the child, she may be ordered to return that overpayment.

Reimbursement of overpaid child support is not automatic, and without the issue being preserved, it may be denied. Understanding the law and taking proactive measures to avoid overpayment of child support may likely boost the chances of overpaid child support being returned.
We hope that this blog post has been informative about child support overpayment and when reimbursement may be sought. Ciyou & Dixon, P.C. practices throughout the state of Indiana. This blog post was written by attorney, Jessica Keyes.

  1. See Ind. Code §31-16-8-1
  2. See Ind. Code §31-16-6-6.
  3. See Ind. Code §31-17-2-8.

We Listen & Care

Proven & experienced attorneys successfully advocating & resolving complex cases for over 25 years

Quick Contact

Need to talk now? Fill out the quick form below and we will contact you directly.
Blog Categories

Get In Touch

We're available to answer your questions 24/7.

Contact Us

Please fill out the form below and we will be in touch with you shortly.

Dixon & Moseley, P.C., is a law firm located in Indianapolis, Indiana. We serve clients in six core practice areas: family lawappellate practicefirearms lawgeneral practicepersonal injury and criminal law.

Call Now

Copyright © 2024 Ciyou & Dixon, P.C., Attorneys at Law. All rights reserved. This Site does not provide legal advice; please review the disclaimer for other limitations. Privacy Policy

Based in Indianapolis and founded in 1995, Dixon & Moseley, P.C. is a niche law firm focused on successfully dealing with the complexities of divorce, high-conflict child custody and family law. Known for their ability to solve extremely complex situations with high quality work and responsiveness, Dixon & Moseley, P.C. will guide you every step of the way. The family law attorneys at Dixon & Moseley, P.C. will help you precisely identify your objectives and the means to reach your desired result. Life is uncertain. Be certain of your counsel. Indianapolis Divorce Attorneys, Dixon & Moseley, P.C.

Indianapolis Divorce Attorneys, Dixon & Moseley, P.C. of Indianapolis, Indiana, offers legal services for Indianapolis, Zionsville, Noblesville, Carmel, Avon, Anderson, Danville, Greenwood, Brownsburg, Geist, Fortville, McCordsville, Muncie, Greenfield, Westfield, Fort Wayne, Fishers, Bloomington, Lafayette, Marion County, Hamilton County, Hendricks County, Allen County, Delaware County, Morgan County, Hendricks County, Boone County, Vigo County, Johnson County, Hancock County, and Tippecanoe County, Indiana.